Thursday, September 17, 2009

philosophy at the bus station

Hello everyone, or Merhaba, since I decided to learn turkish next year :-)

I went to language class today, I found everything very well, I wasn't lost today! Yeah... :-)
I suppose, that is because I was in such a good mood: I met Amanda yesterday evening. It was fun and it's a nice brerakthrough the daily stuff.

- I am saying "daily" DAILY, wow. I am here for almoszt two weeks now. Unbelievable :-) Reflects that I like it here I guess.

Oke, but back to topic now: I found out more about my classmates - Halima, nineteen, one of the best in class, said that she is married. I almost fell off my chair. First you think: What the hell is going on? And then: Marriage is almost the only and easiest way to immigrate.

With these kind of thoughts I went to the station. I had a question refering to the schedule and so I ask one guy from Ghana.
It was easy to come from "how long do you live here?" to "like 50% of my class is married and at the same time in my age" to "how do you have a successful and fulfilling relationship". Philosophy at the bus station. We talked about the immigrants, about racism,
(I recognize just in this moment that this is very difficult to write about my thoughts and considerations about this. But why? "Fragile" topic. For me, because I am german? For me, because I am a foreigner here as well and don't feel right about judging the people's behaviour without any background?...)
yeah, you see, the conversatie (i know that I need these points over the e!) was pretty deep actually. He was very sure about what the "rule of love" is: patience, understanding and trust. He also got the offer to marry his girlfriend, but he negated, even though "there was something wrong with his documents".
Did I mention that he is 19?

That is really another reality, and I get a glimpse now of what it is like to immigrate, settle down, be not really part of the society by being in this class and talking to people. I was never aware of these things behind the headscarfs, the earrings, the rastas...

Fatime said, that in Germany it is kind of an unwritten law to look your vis-à-vis in the eyes while talking. She said, the germans are trying to read if you are one of the good ones, someone to trust. That's true, ay? I was never really aware of that "law". But of course, I am always trying to catch the other one's gaze.
- Amazing what you learn about your country through the view of someone else.

Ahhh so many serious thoughts! What did I do today after school? I went with one politician, who kind of "brought" the EVS to Heusden-Zolder, through the mining history of the town, which is the reason for the high number of migrants here... It was so interesting! The head of the mines were from the wallonie - so if you belonged to the higher class, french was the language to speak. The really huge houses, the cinema, the social club, the football stadium was supposed to be for the "lucky few". The houses in the cité are for those, who just need some space to live in. Ghettos, so-to-say. In former times, down in the coalmines, everyone was black: Igor, Mohammet, Rustu and Giovanni. But now, since the mines are closed (about 15 - 20 years ago!!!!) there is no more binding element anymore. And thats is the problem.

You can imagine the hierarchy of the employers and the workers like the white and the latinos in Cuba, Mexico, America... I was shocked how far it went. And that it was in the 1960s and 70s, so our times. -.-

So, this was Heusden-Zolder, philosophy, marriage and immigration. And now I can't wait to have Dinner. The days are so long in België (yeah I found the dots!) ooovvv, in the radio is for like the sixth time the song from MIKA "we are golden". België, you are not really up-to-date.
:-D By the way, what is the song about? I cannot figure it out. But I have to admit its kind of catchy. :-D

Salut, ...

xx to Islem (or something) for the cool talk. Thanks to Marc, it was so cool!

And groetjes to Fons, haha, I know you are reading this! :-D





1 comment:

  1. Like the blog, funny stuff, its interesting to read how "an outsider" (but you know you're already a part of the family) looks at my hometown and describes her perspective... keep it up!...your Belgian brother

    ReplyDelete